Friday, August 13, 2010

Research 5301 Completion

Completing Research 5301 has been an eye opening experience for me. Before this class I thought administrators and school districts where wrapped up in what “outside experts” and newfangled programs could deliver. I understand now by districts and teachers (districts greatest single resource) working together and encouraging one another to form action research studies that “buy-in” and change will occur.
The interviews encouraged me rethink the way I perceive administrators. It was clear that each administrator was adamant about the role teachers’ play in change and effecting change on the campus. Dr. Chargois stressed the importance of educating future educators on how to conduct action research instead of just pedagogy. Through our readings and interviews I realized that the purpose of action research is to “change the way we deliver instruction” as was stated in Dr. Lewis’s interview. All three scholars stressed the importance of the classroom teacher when developing or solving action research problems. They also stressed the importance of teachers to be well versed in disaggregated data and find practical ways to change the way they deliver instruction.
Learning the way an action research study should be started was the most important part of this class. When I realized that I had to complete an action research study I was unprepared as a way to start. The lessons helped me to plan accordingly. By starting with a rationale I was able to identify more topics than what I could see on the outside. By stating many topics and then discussing them with my campus supervisor I felt prepared and more able to receive positive feedback and instruction. This encouraged me to prepare my PIP which was an invaluable tool for setting up an action research topic then revamping until I felt that I was prepared to start my plan. With the understanding that my PIP can be changed for effectiveness encouraged me to go farther than I intended in my study.
Learning how to implement the force field analysis, Delphi method, and nominal group techniques will help me improve my action research plan. I feel that these methods will provide feedback necessary to keep my action research study from stalling. I am particularly thankful for the extreme importance this class put on the CARE model.
Throughout this course I have noted that the importance of self reflection is an asset that administrators, teachers, and districts must employ to be effective educators. The ability to change what has always been done and work for better results is the only way to encourage value added instruction. I will keep my action research study moving by providing updates on my blog and encouraging feedback from my classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment